Monday, 4 March 2024

LO1: Magazine Proposal

 Purpose - Form/ Genre

The purpose of the magazine is to entertain its audience of people who are into to snooker. However the magazine can also inform people, as the magazine can showcase scores of the latest games that have taken place in the UK. Also, the magazine could also educate people by having a page towards the end of the magazine teaching people how to play snooker and how the point system works during games. In addition the magazine will also have facts spread around the magazine for those who play snooker can learn tricks and different game styles on how they can improve their form when playing snooker. The genre of the magazine is sport, as snooker is competitive around the country with many championships taking place with cash prizes. Snooker is also a difficult sport to play which takes lots of practice and experience to become the best. The main competition takes place in the UK with people traveling around the world to take part. 



Content

Front Cover

For the front cover of the magazine, i have chosen a simple masthead with a San Serif font. However, I then added a  3D style added on to the masthead with blue being the primary colour on the masthead to connote that the contents on the magazine will be professional. The reason why the masthead will be 3D is due to the font size being big which adds more detail on the masthead, along with allowing the magazine to be seen from a distance. The main cover image  for the magazine will be a photo of someone playing snooker, making sure that the main cover image will be linking back to the theme of snooker. This will be effective to the audience, as the reader will be able to clearly see from the masthead and the main cover image that the magazine will be based around the topic of snooker. At the bottom of the magazine I will want to add information of magazine in a San Serif Font of who will be appearing in the magazine. The reason why I have also chosen for this to be in a San Serif Font is because the font is modern which will target all demographic ages, as it will be in full capitals making it easy to read from a distance and close up. At the top of the magazine I am going to use Banners to store important information on the magazine, such as the year the magazine was published, e.g. 2024. This allows an audience to see that the magazine will be up to date with the recent events in snooker along with knowing the information within the magazine will still be reliable to this day. The reason why I am going to have the Banner above the Masthead is because I want the reader to look at the Masthead first and then look at the Banner explaining when the magazine was published, which will interest them due to how recent it is. The colour of the Banner will be in a shade of dark green typically the one you will see on a snooker table which will continue to link back to my theme. The Front cover of the magazine will also have a sell line which will give brief information of what the contents are in the magazine without having to turn the page. The magazine will also feature other details such as cover lines. With the cover line I will use San Serif for the cover lines as I can have it in bold and make it stand out on the magazine. The cover lines will also stay linked to the genre of the magazine as it is mandatory that all the contents on the magazine stay linked with my chosen theme without risk of going off topic. I will also try and add in a magazine cover image, as I do plan on going down to the winter gardens when they host the snooker world championship and potentially get some photos of anyone important enough to be featured on the magazine. My magazine will also have a main cover line in a San Serif Font, with a quote said by a snooker player, or a fan of someone who likes to play snooker for a hobby and what their views are of the sport. Underneath the main cover line I will have the cover line either with the name of the person who said the quote or to add more additional information. 

Marketing and Distribution 

For marketing and distributing the UK SNOOKER magazine, I found locations and other methods to make sure my niche target audience is reached. For marketing I will use social media such as instagram and set up an account that promotes the magazines and the contents related to it. I will also try and get the magazines to be promoted in c2de shops round Wombwell, Brampton, and Wath Upon Dearne, and potentially have them in pubs and working mens clubs. The reason why I chose to do Instagram as my social media page is because by having the account on public I can then post things related to snooker while I promote the magazine on the page.  By doing this my account will then be suggested to other people will my posts that match to their interests. This should then gain me more followers that are local, or within a suitable distance to reach the magazines. In addition to this, by having a physical copy of the magazine in pubs and working mens clubs, is best suited as it is people in there who play snooker either has a hobby and want to look at a magazine that has that content. However, the pubs and the working mens club will only feature posters for the magazine which tells them where to get the magazine, which will feature the front cover of the magazine with more contents telling the audience where to go and get the magazine. The reason why I have picked to have the front cover of the magazine as the centre image of the poster, is because by having the centre image of the magazine as the poster will make the magazine instantly recognisable once someone sees the copy in a shop. However, I could also have a QR code on the poster that directs people to the social media page, which can give them more information on the magazine and where to find it. 
Because the magazine is based on a 16-60 audience, it makes sense to have advertisements for the magazine in a pub and local shops. The local shops will be for the younger audience from 16-20, whereas the pubs will be for the older generation from 20-60 as they will be legally be allowed to drink and go down to pubs more often giving me a chance of getting an older audience in pubs. 


Double Page Spread 

For my Double page spread, I am going to use a simplistic style that will follow in the same colour coordination like my front cover. I want to include in my double page spread a repetition of the masthead that was used on the front cover. The reason why I want to do this is because I want to keep the masthead of the magazine stuck in my audiences head so they don't forget about it. However, I will also use the topi title of the double page spread the same colour as that was used on the masthead. I also want my double page spread to include quotes from my potential model, along with photos related to snooker. The topic I aim to write about is Public Snooker, such as in a pub, events, or even at home. This is because I want the audience who are reading the magazine to feel included in the topics that are being discussed.




Content Page

For my content page at the back of the magazine, I want to carry on using the same colour pattern that I will be using for both front cover and double page spread. The type of content I want to include on the contents page is everything that will be included in the magazine, along with adding in an enlarged photo related to snooker to the back of my contents page. I also plan on adding the front cover of my magazine to the content page, as the audience will once again be drawn to the masthead, while making the magazine look recognisable if they were to see it again. 


Resources and Personnel 

For the creation of my magazine, I myself will be the editor of both the front cover, Double page spread, and contents page. This is because I will be drawing sketch designs of the magazine covers, that I will then create digitally using Adobe Photoshop and InDesign to make it look professional. Next, I will also be the one who takes the photos of my model, along with taking photos of key areas that are important around the sport of Snooker. The reason why I am also doing this, is because I already have the plan and ideas of what photos I want to take and in what style and angles. 
The resources that I will need to complete this, is a computer or any digital device that is suitable to run Adobe platforms, along with a camera with a modern lens to take quality photos that will be used for my magazine. I only require 1 model for my magazine, as it will keep content forms nice and simple and not too complexed to give out. The model I am also using is a family member so it will be easy to convince them to be apart of the magazine, since the sport of choice is also one they are interested in. 

Target Audience

For the creation of my magazine, it should overall not be expensive, other than paying 2 pounds a year to actually be at the Wombwell working men's club, which is the primary location for taking photos of my model. My magazine will be for an audience both male and female, due to snooker becoming a popular sport for both genders, along with being for both ABC1 and C2DE demographics. The age category I will aim to reach starts from 16-62, as most people begin getting into snooker during their teens and mostly stick with the sport for a long time. 


Specifications 

The size of my magazine is based off of photography magazines I have looked at and my front cover will be 298mm in height and 223mm in width and my double page spread will be 298mm in height and 446mm in width. Printing 100 copies, A4, 120gsm, 40 page, stapled, colour - £178.90

No comments:

Post a Comment

LO2- Annotated Visualisation Diagrams