Monday, 11 March 2024

LO2:Legal and Ethical Issues

 Legal and Ethical Law:

  • Obscene publication Act- Illegal to publish content that may negatively influence the readers: making sure featured content is for the right audience. Audience: 58% Female, 65% ABC1 , 670 relationship. It is illegal to publish defamatory (harmful) content about a person or publish untrue information. 


The viewership for Snooker is mainly male dominant with 60% of the demographic being people over the age of 60. This means that the readership for the magazine would be a much older audience being the primary audience of those who have followed snooker for years. Since the audience is male dominated, there are still women who are into snooker and could have more of an interest to the sport. 

When I am writing up the facts and statistics for my magazine, I will make sure I use a trusted source to gather up my research. Also, for my magazine, if I was to reference any snooker player, or talk about the gender diversity between the sport, I would have to make sure what I say is true, without offending anybody with false information that could potentially be seen as an insult. The issue with this too is the fact that if i was to challenge these stereotypes, i could also get negative criticism from my main audience who don't believe in women snooker becoming more popular, and having potential in the future of sports with viewership's.   

How to challenge this stereotype?

The way this stereotype is by having contents in the magazine explaining how women have began to take over and explain how this can be beneficial to the sport. However, many people have criticized the women's snooker league, saying that they cannot concentrate on the sport. This was said by a professional snooker woman Reanne Evans "I think women find it difficult just to concentrate on snooker." 




  • Libel Law- (form of slander) damaging of someone's reputation, with false acclaims about that person/party.  This can be used on magazines, newspapers and political rallies to damage their opponents reputation to benefit them. Libel can be easily proven, as it can involve written demands and other handwritten statements.      
  • Copyright- Allows producers of content to protect their intellectual property and for it not to be used without permission. 
For my magazine i will using people to be my models for the images that will feature on my magazine. To avoid copyright i will take my own photos with my own equipment, while getting consent forms from my models. 

I have produced my own masthead, along with my own quotes which will show that the magazine will feature my own content and potentially things they had never seen before.  

  • Laws of contempt- It is a criminal offence to publish content that posses a risk to justice in proceedings. Prevents magazines from publishing anything that is too sensationalist about a criminal case. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LO2- Annotated Visualisation Diagrams